Re: Automatically cutting commercials

This really nothing to do with this list, but is related to the subject ...

I assume you are interested in skipping commercials on a hard-disk-based DVR,
e.g. like TiVo.

Suppose there was a web site somewhere that had the info on all TV programs on
all channels / networks, including the exact start and stop time of the
commercials.  The DVR - which would have to be on the 'net - could then access
this website to know how to skip the commercials.

Who would maintain the database on this website? Obviously, volunteer hacker
types who hate commercials.  They could go to the website, log in, and click /
press keys as commercials start and stop.  I don't believe the networks could sue
for any sort of copyright infringement, since when commercials start or stop
should be considered "news" and therefore in the public domain (but I'm not a
lawyer).

I believe blocking / force-feeding commercials, rather than copy protection, is
the real future battleground.  I would guess that more revenue is generated (at
least in the US) through advertising than is generated by all forms of
Intellectual Property: music, movies and books combined.  That advertising
revenue is not going to be easily surrendered.  We'll soon see the equivalent of
anti-DeCSS legal actions against software that blocks commercials.  On what
grounds? possibly "harming a business" or whatever basis they used to sue Oprah
for dissing eating beef - although they did lose that case.

Peter K