Re: Webcam (V4L-V4L2)

> > What about YUV420 to RGB565 fast conversion routines? Any hints?

> That depends what you mean by fast. My stuff is all C++ but uses
> precomputed lookup tables to achieve pretty good speed. I havn't
> benchmarked it against any of the MMX implementations - if you want one
> of those then any of the MPEG or DVD players is going to include
> optimized conversion code.

It is clear that a table lookup from, say YUV420 to any of the RGB formats
would be pretty small, but what do you do about the size of a table for
converting from say RGB888 to YUV420 where the space spanned by the result
is significantly smaller than that of the original.  It would appear that
this lookup table would require about 2^24 entries and would only map to
64 possible YUV420 colors.  Do you apply granularity to the RGB888
pointers so that it doesn't hog so much memory?  Are there any obvious
shortcuts that I am overlooking?