Re: Webcam (V4L-V4L2)

Edgard Alexander Sotter wrote:

> Hi everybody!!!....
>
> I just finished to program Creative webcam Plus... I used Justin routine to
> capture images and the GTK/GDK library to show the images on the screen as
> video... if anyone wants to get the code just tell me.
>
> I worked with V4L and I found that VIDEO_PALETTE_GREY doesn't work ok, so I
> have to use VIDEO_PALETTE_RGB24. If anyone has worked in greyscale (V4L) and
> had good results please reply me.

The examples of mine on Gleicon's site include working V4L greyscale capture with
the bttv (Bt848) driver.

Maybe the Creative webcam Plus hardware and/or driver doesn't support it.

If you just want greyscale data (as opposed to wanting it for lower datarates),
then just convert the RGB to YUV and use the Y - that's what the bttv greyscale
is. There are a zillion RGB-YUV conversion routines out there, including a
reasonably fast one in the tarball of mine on Gleicon's site.

Ben