Hauppauge WinTV and VIA Apollo Pro133A possible interference

Hi,

I just wanted to provide some information I had a hard time to find
regarding a possible interference between Hauppauge Win TV boards
and the Epox D3VA Dual CPU mainboard, sporting
a VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset.

With the default Award 6.0 BIOS settings, I've noticed black stripes on the
right side of the xawtv TV window, especially at high resolutions and at
scenes with fast movements.
I use xawtv, but I doubt it has anything to do with it.

I don't know where I found it in the net (some newsgroup I think), but
someone was pointing at wrong settings for the PCI latency timer in
Award BIOSes on VIA boards.
You can find the according switch in the PNP/PCI Configuration Setup.
The default
	PCI Latency Timer (CLK): 32
is the appropriate setting for Intel chipsets. The appropriate setting for
VIA chips is originally supposed to be 100.
Setting the value to something higher than 40 seems to fix the black stripes
problem at least for PAL (I've set mine to 48, cause I'm not shure if higher
values will slow down certain things, and I've not observed further
improvements at higher values).

However, some distortions are still appearent when other windows are moved.
Another candidate is xdaliclock, which will lead to some well localized
distortions.

If the TV window is wider than PAL (768 pixel in xawtv) the black stripes
will appear again. The height of the window doesn't matter.

The problem is also visible under different window managers (I've tried fvwm
2.3.30 and KDE2).

Grabbing is unaffected.

When using the Xvideo extensions the problems disappear.

Before switching to the EpoX board, I've been using an Abit BP6 board
(which has a BX chipset) with identical software settings and have not
observed anything like this.

So it seems to be a BIOS/hardware related problem.

I'm not an expert on that matter, so if someone knows better, please correct
me. So just in case, my setup:
Epox D3VA (VIA Apollo Pro 133A with HPT 370 IDE controller enabled)
Dual PIII 866 (FCPGA - FSB 133)
512 MB infineon PC133 (CL 2)
Matrox G-400 DH 32MB
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100