Re: Re: Streamer QT stereo

> I'm grabbing using Uncompresed RGB (maximum quality). That's a LOT of hard
> drive, but the quality is *AWESOME*, and I think the CPU works less if the
> grabbing does no compression.

Exactly.  For uncompressed video you need a fast (and large) hard disk,
for compressed video you need a fast CPU ...

> I'm going to try with JFIF  with various qualitys. Image/Sound Quality is my
> motivation, that's why I stop using mp1e (even with a bitrate of 10000000,
> the reencoded MPEG ends with a very poor quality). The MPEG resulting of
> encoding QT movies (in uncompressed RGB) have a very good qualtity, even with
> a bitrate of 1152000 or 2500000.

Encoding offline gives better results simply because you don't have to
do stuff in real time.  If you can throw more CPU power at the problem,
you get better quality with the same bitrate.  Today's computers are not
fast enouth to handle anything but just I-Frames in real time.  For good
quality with low bitrates you have to use P- and B-Frames, but encoding
them is very expencive...

  Gerd

--
Get back there in front of the computer NOW. Christmas can wait.
	-- Linus "the Grinch" Torvalds,  24 Dec 2000 on linux-kernel