Re: Re: Streamer QT stereo

Amir> Hi Canek, I guess you already turned off monitoring video while
Amir> recording with bcast2000 ? Video monitoring seems to take a lot of CPU
Amir> time.

Off course.

Amir> But even if monitoring is turned off, xawtv is still much faster than
Amir> bcast2000.

Yeah, I noticed it.

Amir> About the performance issues: I'm not very much into bcast2000, but
Amir> with xawtv it seems that picture quality suffers less if you squeze the
Amir> frames along the x-axis instead of the y-axis during recording. So you
Amir> might try to record something like 512x576 instead of full
Amir> PAL/NTSC/whatever and later expand the frames to their full size- if
Amir> bcast2000 supports this.  (with xawtv I can record 704x576 QT movies
Amir> (JFIF 60% quality) at 24 fps on a dual PIII 913 MHz, just to give a
Amir> measure).

I actually want 325x240 or 480x480 (preferable the last; I'm trying to make
SVCDs). Streamer is really good (in performance and sync), but the mono
recording is a major problem to me.

Certainly Broadcast isn't as good for grabbing; but is great to use for video
editing (specially for QT movies), and can grab in stereo.

I'm grabbing using Uncompresed RGB (maximum quality). That's a LOT of hard
drive, but the quality is *AWESOME*, and I think the CPU works less if the
grabbing does no compression.

I'm going to try with JFIF  with various qualitys. Image/Sound Quality is my
motivation, that's why I stop using mp1e (even with a bitrate of 10000000,
the reencoded MPEG ends with a very poor quality). The MPEG resulting of
encoding QT movies (in uncompressed RGB) have a very good qualtity, even with
a bitrate of 1152000 or 2500000.

(I'm using MPEG 2-Movie from heroinewarrior.com for the MPEG encoding, BTW).

Amir> And 8 bit sound isn't all that bad ;-)

You can note it. Pick up some radio station with radio (the one with xawtv),
and grab in stereo and mono 8. Convert it to MP3 and then play it. You can
note the difference.

Think in MTV! :)

Canek
--
I'm a fuschia bowling ball somewhere in Brittany