Re: [V4L] MPEG2 encoder card driver

Xavier Wielemans writes:
 > A hardware MPEG codec interests me a lot, but I need one that would be able
 > to encode from YUV frames (@ 25 fps) and to decode back to YUV at the same
 > rate. After looking with much interest at the linuxtv.org page, I assume
 > your board can't do that yet... Do you think it will be possible in later
 > releases of the board/driver ? You have any idea of when this will happen ?
 > Or does anybody know if this already exists under Linux ? Can someone give
 > me some links to more information in that area ?

Well, it encodes from YUV but not from memory, only directly from the
output of the SAA7113. It should be possible to do this (I know
that earlier prototypes of the card did) but I don´t think the
current firmware supports this. I´ll have to ask Visiontech.

The card also cannot decode MPEG2 to YUV.
There are newer versions of the Kfir chip. The Kfir2 has sound
encoding and the PCI bridge built in. The Kfir2-A will also offer
decoding. This is probably what you would want. But you will
have to wait for the next generation of cards. I don´t know when they
will hit the market.
In the meantime you can of course use an additional MPEG2 decoder
boards for decoding to YUV. There are several with Linux support now.

Ralph