Re: [V4L] Linux driver for DC10plus video capture card. V 0.5

Hi, Alex,

You know, honestly, I don't know much about JPEG format too ;). However, at
least simple JPEG images allow to include some alphanumeric information into
the JPEG file (like copyright information, etc.).

Nevertheless, I would suggest more advanced solution:

1. TV signal can be captured in usual way as it is done when capturing AVI, or
Quicktime files.

2. Instead of drawing caption in the frames, your additional information can
be added in headers of these files (you need to check this in AVI or Quicktime
specifications, may be Rainer Johanni <rrj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> can help - he is
the author of lavtools - utilities which we use to capture AVI files in Linux,
you may also ask Gernot Ziegler <gz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> - he is maintainer of
newer MJPEG/MPEG tools for Linux). If this formats will not satisfy your
needs, you can develop your own format, it might be quite simple: you just
need to store raw JPEG frames from DC10plus card along with your additional
information.

3. When playing back, the JPEG frames can be sent directly to DC10+ or similar
card, and your additional information can be fed into TV signal according to
closed captioning (CC) specifications. In this case you will need TV monitor
which has CC decoder so the captions can be seen on TV screen like captions on
TV news and other programs.

I think this solution is much better because it saves valuable space in TV
frames (CC use only one line per field) and if you need later some kind of
computer processing of your captured movie, search and identification of frame
sequences will be much simple when you have your information in a raw
alphanumeric format.

DC10plus driver for Linux does not support CC yet but I was thinking about
implementing it because ADV7176 TV encoder supports this feature and I suppose
that it can be useful even for home use when somebody needs to store any
additional information in his movies.

To read more about closed captions, check

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov:80/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=15&SECTION=119&YEAR=1998&TYPE=PDF

--
Serguei Miridonov                CICESE, Research Center,
CICESE, Optics Dept.             Ensenada B.C., Mexico