Re: [V4L] Linux driver for DC10plus video capture card. V 0.5

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Serguei Miridonov wrote:
> Linux driver for Miro/Pinnacle Systems Inc. DC10plus and some DC10 cards.

I'm currently working on a networked security camera system, and am
adapting it to work with PCs with DC10+ cards in them (previously we used
NetWinders, but they have stopped selling rack mount NetWinders with video
capture inputs). Currently we capture in uncompressed mode, draw a caption
(name of camera and time/date) on the image, then compress it in software
using libjpeg. I'd like to be able to use the ZR36060 to do the JPEG
compression, but the captions are an essential feature for us. I was
wondering if anyone has any idea how we could both draw the captions on
the image and use the hardware JPEG compression. One possibility I was
wondering about was whether it might be possible to loop the internal
video output back to the internal video input, send the captions to the
video output, and use the overlay features of the 7110A to superimpose the
captions on the captured image?

Also, I don't know a great deal about the JPEG format, but it seems like
it might be possible to hack a JPEG file by changing the height field and
adding some more lines (containing the captions) to the bottom of the
image (or alternatively the top of the image). Does this sound feasible?

--
--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :