Re: [V4L] V4L-API stereo/mono?

> Hm... in this case the application also doesn't know what the current
> state is.

Yes.  Current behaviour of bttv (msp3400 to be exact as this driver does
the actual TV sound handling) is to use the best available mode after
channel switches (i.e. switch to stereo if the TV station broadcasts
stereo), althrouth this might take some time as the hardware needs some
time to find out if stereo (or bilangual mode) is on or not.

So xawtv knows it is stereo if it gets "mono|stereo", unless the user has
explicitly switched back to mono.

The idea is to allow applications to have a menu with all entries, and
the ones which do not work are greyed out.

> > lang1|lang2	Two different sound carriers (TV stations in europe
> > 		sometimes send movies both original and translated, and
> > 		the user has the choice to listen either (say) english
> > 		or german...)
>
> Okay, maybe v4l fits better for TV, but I'm writing a radio driver (in
> Germany)... (:

Was just another example to make the idea more clear.  I know radio
is just mono/stereo...

  Gerd

--
Protecting the children is a good way to get a lot of adults who cant
stand up for themselves.		-- seen in some sig on /.