Re: [V4L] dvd movies

andru sprott wrote:

> hi all
>
> err, is dvd playback under v4l possible? atm i've got
> a xpert2k and it has mpeg2 playback hardware built
> into the rage 128 chipset.

	The ATi boards have some significant bits and pieces that aide software
DVD playback, but a DVD decoder it aint.

> dvd playback on my windows machines sucks, cos
> it keeps lockin up. ati say that dvd playback is possible
> under linux, but that is all they could say. i'm thinkin of
> buyin a dediated hardware decoder, but is it worth it.

	There are a handfull of software dvd players for linux these days, I
doubt if any of them take advantage of the ATi hardware.

	Fortunately, hardware dvd decoders can be aquired quite cheaply these
days -- this one for example:

http://www.compgeeks.com/cgi-bin/details.asp?cat=MultiMedia&sku=205-7160

	This board is a member of the DXR2 family, and there's software
half-written to support it under linux. maybe more than half at this
point.

> iow, can i play dvd movies with my existin setup
> under linux?

	It sounds like ATi doesn't have a software player for linux, but a few
exist. Sorry to say I don't know the names of any of them

	For future reference, this isn't the right list - Video4Linux refers to
the video capture interface of the linux kernel, which doesn't have
anything to do with video playback.

 - Eric