Re: [V4L] Big Project

Jeroen Vreeken wrote:

> Serguei Miridonov wrote:
>
> > If you need to record from 4-8 inputs continuously, you will need 4-8
> > separate TV capture cards, I believe. However, if you wish just to take
> > snapshots (say, 1-2 per second from all inputs), may be you can do it with
> > DC10plus card which can be programmed to take signals from 4 composite inputs
> > right of the box (however, you will need to add this functionality to the
> > driver, and make S-Video cable for 2 composite inputs instead of Y/C).
>
> I don't think you would need to change the driver, if it has the
> VIDIOSCHAN ioctl implemented you should be able to use this for
> switching between the inputs.

The driver has this ioctl but it is programmed only for 1 composite, 1 S-Video,
and, recently, for 1 more internal composite inputs. To convert 1 S-Video to 2
composite, two more options need to be added in the driver. However, it is quite
easy.

> > > So, can someone tell me what I should be looking for, what is the
> > > likleyhood of getting this to work etc? Also, does anyone have a source of
> > > good video capture boards, fairly standard, maybe some with 2-4 inputs?
> >
> > Almost all have both composite and S-Video inputs. Some cards can be
> > programmed so that S-Video input becomes two composite. Some cards, like
> > DC10plus, have internal composite connector besides those ones on rear metal
> > plate. So, in particular DC10plus can be used as 4-inputs card. If you have
> > good soldering skills, may be you can get all available 6 composite inputs
> > from it ;-).
>
> Virtualy unlimeted inputs could achieved by using frequency
> multiplexing,
> in other words play for cable company and modulate each video source on
> a single cable (simple video modulators and some technical knowledge
> will do) and use VIDIOCSFREQ for switching.

That's nice solution for cards with a tuner!

--
Serguei Miridonov                CICESE, Research Center,
CICESE, Optics Dept.             Ensenada B.C., Mexico