Re: [V4L] Big Project

"Bryan K." wrote:

> Hey everyone
>
> It's been awhile. Anyhow, I'm looking to do some serious video work with a
> linux box. This is what I need:
>
> * 4 - 8 video inputs
> * Ability to record each input at 640x480 (or higher) individually in 24 -
> 48 hour intervals

If you need to record from 4-8 inputs continuously, you will need 4-8
separate TV capture cards, I believe. However, if you wish just to take
snapshots (say, 1-2 per second from all inputs), may be you can do it with
DC10plus card which can be programmed to take signals from 4 composite inputs
right of the box (however, you will need to add this functionality to the
driver, and make S-Video cable for 2 composite inputs instead of Y/C).

> * Ability to view at least 4 inputs on screen at one time (at say
> 320x240)

Theoretically, this is possible too at reduced frame rate with DC10plus, but
again, you will need to write some code. At least, I don't know any software
which can do this.

> * Ability to click and zoom on any screen to full screen, and possibly
> zoom in further.

If you don't care about loosing signal from other inputs, you can switch to
full frame rate and watch video from selected input.

> * Possible ability to capture audio with each

Audio capture is different. Many cheap TV capture cards do not have audio
inputs/outputs at all but you can use audio card from computer. You will need
some kind of audio multiplexer though.

> So, can someone tell me what I should be looking for, what is the
> likleyhood of getting this to work etc? Also, does anyone have a source of
> good video capture boards, fairly standard, maybe some with 2-4 inputs?

Almost all have both composite and S-Video inputs. Some cards can be
programmed so that S-Video input becomes two composite. Some cards, like
DC10plus, have internal composite connector besides those ones on rear metal
plate. So, in particular DC10plus can be used as 4-inputs card. If you have
good soldering skills, may be you can get all available 6 composite inputs
from it ;-).

Take a look at http://www.cicese.mx/~mirsev/Linux/DC10plus for more
information and a driver for DC10plus.

--
Serguei Miridonov                CICESE, Research Center,
CICESE, Optics Dept.             Ensenada B.C., Mexico