Re: [V4L] PAL-60 bttv/xawtv?

Gerd Knorr writes:
 > > > There are a few more PAL variants in the norm menu if xawtv runs with bttv.
 > > > One of them is some 60 Hz PAL version used in a few countries, this might
 > > > work.
 > >
 > > Thanks, I wasn't aware that one of those was 60Hz. I tried all the menu
 > > selections in xawtv 3.14, none of them got it quite right, I suspect
 > > even if the field rate was correct, the number of lines would throw it
 > > off?
 >
 > The bt878 manual lists PAL-M with 525 lines + 60 Hz (used in Brazil)
 > which is basically NTSC timing and PAL color information.  This looks
 > fine to me, but I can't test/debug that myself...

I tried to get a decent picture of a PAL-60 signal years ago.
I never found a mode which does PAL-BDGI at 60 Hz.
PAL-M will produce black and white with a PAL-60 input.

That was we a Bt848 though. The Bt878 might have some combination of
settings which work.

 > > I haven't actually looked intot he code that defines modes, perhaps I
 > > should. Is all the timing in the 878 programmable?
 >
 > Should be possible to make it work I think.  Maybe PAL-M and PAL-60 are
 > not 100% the same, that PAL-60 needs something slightly different.  Tried
 > if the pll insmod options helps in some way?

I think the PLL alone won´t help.
AFAIR, PAL-60 produced the right picture with color but also with
too many lines which then wrapped around and messed up the whole
capturing process.
The problem is that the dcoder expects 625 lines when set to PAL-BDGI.
You could try if setting the norm to PAL-BDGI and the VTOTAL register to
525 lines works. The VTOTAL register was introduced in the Bt849 or Bt878 I
think.

Ralph