Re: [V4L] mpeg2 optimization ...?

>         Is anyone here working on optimizing MSSG mpeg2 encoder ....?
> please let me if anyone is. I would also like to know if there is any
> optimized software encoder available ...

Perhaps you'll have a look at my MPEG encoder at:
http://rachmaninoff.ti.uni-mannheim.de/sampeg/index.html

It's an implementation from scratch with some MMX code and better
motion estimation algorithms. Furthermore it runs parallelized on
SMPs and uses adaptive quantization and scene change detection.
To make this post on-topic for this list, the encoder also supports
real-time encoding through V4L.

Sounds so great, that there has to be a problem. Ok, it's not
open-source
yet. But there is a binary on the web-page. I'm at the moment checking
the possibilities what to do with this software in the future. One
possibility is that I'll start an MPEG-4 encoder project on top of
it. Anyway, expect the project to become open-source in about 3 weeks.

Greetings
  Dirk

  Dirk Farin
  University Mannheim / Dept. Circuitry and Simulation
  B 6,26 EG, room 0.10 / D-68131 Mannheim / Germany
  email: farin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx