Re: [V4L] what is a good real-time mpeg encoder?

Andrew Stevens wrote:

> Ooops maybe my rubric wasn't very clear.  It doesn't *capture* at all.
> The mpeg encoder works on mjpeg AVI or Quicktime files captured
> elsewhere.

ahhh..OK. sorry, I  have been looking at so many things recently, that
they are all starting to blur together =P

> I'd love to be more specific, (mp1e sounds like the answer to this
> maidens prayer),
> but the web-site (appears to be down) to look at the 1.8 source code.
> Aaaaaargh....
> anyone care to put me out of my misery.  I gotta look at that code.

yeah, I know the feeling..I grabbed the 1.7 source from metalab. but
can't get to their homepage :(

>         Andrew
>

> However mjpeg is plain too fat for archiving stuff I like to CD.
> You *really* need mpeg for that.  Needless to say thats why I
> started hacking on mpeg2enc.

I just picked up a 10 gig drive so I can hold at least a couple of shows
so I can watch 'em later...I'll definetly have to look at mpeg2enc for
longer term storage :)