Searching List & ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon

I have an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon (AGP version) and am having trouble
getting Suse 9.0 and Fedora Core 1 to utilize it's video capabilities.
It appears that Fedora Core does not have V4L compiled in the default
kernel; rebuilding the kernel has become a REAL frustration!  Suse 9
appears to have V4L enabled, but the video apps. still claim there is no
device on /dev/video (which exists as a link to /dev/video1).

I have used the card under Windows, but was not happy with the
applications that were available, nor the fact that it was Windows!

I looked at the Gatos project, but was having a little trouble with
their documentation (pretty terse).

Mostly ... I just want to be able to capture video from my video camera
(S-video) to burn to DVD and as a personal video recorder (PVR) for
delayed viewing of programs (via U.S. Cable TV).

Thanks for your thoughts.

-- Mitch