Re: Vertical synchronization

Michael Hunold (hunold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> In grabbing mode (ie. when the bt8x8 writes the picture to some
> offscreen memory), the synchronisation of your incoming picture is not
> important.
>
> What you really need is a way to synchronise the output, ie. a way to
> tell your output device: "wait for the next vertical sync, then flip
> to the next frame, so I don't get any tearing effects".
>
> I don't know if X finally has something (ie. a "X vsync extension")
> like this, otherwise you need to use some other toolkit like DirectFB
> (http:/www.directfb.org) that lets you sync your output to the vsync.

  Michael,

  Modern video cards have hardware video overlay engines which scale
video and convert from Y'CbCr to RGB.  All video cards provide double
buffering for overlay surfaces.  When a client provides the next video
frame, it will page flip to that on the next vertical sync, so you will
not get tearing.  The X extension to use an overlay surface is called
XVIDEO.

  In tvtime we capture a frame (grabbing) to system RAM.  We then
process it.  We then provide this frame to XVIDEO, which writes it to
offscreen video memory.  That frame is then shown on the next retrace
without tearing.

  -Billy