Re: tvtime

  Hi Gene,

  Usually I reply to tvtime email a bit quicker, but I have been away
on holidays.

  There have been a few points of misinformation.  First of all, Marius
and hermann are incorrect, recent versions of tvtime use the left/right
for volume, while in the past it was for fine-tuning.  Hence there is
some confusion.

  Second of all, tvtime's volume control only affects the volume of your
mixer, it does not talk to the capture card (nor does it need to).  If
the microphone input controls your volume, you may have plugged your
capture card into your microphone input and not your line input of your
soundcard.  Check that out first!  By default, tvtime controls the 'line
in' input on your mixer, check if this is correct.  If you're still
having trouble, please let me know.

> I note that it puts a fairly heavy hit on the cpu, around 35-40%, is
> there some option to turn on dma or something to alleviate that?

  There are many possible causes for high CPU.  For one, tvtime is
designed for full-screen high quality TV viewing, so using CPU to
process the video is expected.  There are options to change the
processing which will make that amount go up or down.  That all said,
there are many, many possible kernel misconfigurations or video card
driver misconfigurations that can lead to bad performance and frame
drops, so if you're having trouble, let me know and I can provide more
assistance in debugging it.

  -Billy