usb hardware ?

Hi,

I am completely new to v4l and to video on computers. Thus, please excuse my
stupid questions.

I am planning to buy some hardware to turn my laptop into a video recorder. My
goal is to copy (edit) video tapes to DVD. My laptop has got a USB2 port and
my video recorder a SCART port. What do I need in between?

In the local store I have seen a lot of devices at a prize range from EUR 30
to EUR 300. The sales people wanted to sell me a Pinnacle MovieBox USB for
about EUR 200. But to the question about linux they had no answer.

On the Internet I have found a lot of links on linux-capable PCI Cards but
nothing on USB Boxes. Are there any USB devices that capture an analog video
signal working with linux?

If yes, what do I really need for my goal?

Thank you very much,
Torsten