Re: capture card recomendations

I've been thinking about this and reading specs on NTSC and the BT878. A 720 wide pixel line is typically achieved using a scanning line period of 53.33 microseconds. This is considered an overscan. A 704 wide pixel line is normally achieved with a scanning line period of 52.15 microseconds and is considered an exact scan. At least in the NTSC realm, I think that if you ask the BT878 for more than 704 pixels, your mileage may vary, perhaps including black borders. This seems consistent with page 26 of the spec which talks about the BT878 using a 63.8 microsecond scan to read 913 pixels. Surely with a 63.8 microsecond scan period, you will be outside the normal picture borders.

Thus, I think if you ask for more than 768 active PAL square pixels or 720 CCIR601 pixels, you're likely to see black borders. Similarly, for NTSC, asking for more than 640 square pixels or 720 CCIR601 pixels is likely to produce black borders.