Re: Still no luck Re: Can't detect camera

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, joe user wrote:

> --- Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >If you have loaded the pwc (and optionally pwcx)
> > module, and also have
> > >loaded the appropriate usb modules (!) you should
> > have an (extra)
> > >/dev/video device that xawtv can operate on.
> >
> > Provided that the device file is correct. What does
> > say
> > 	ls -la /dev/video
> > 	ls -la /dev/video0
> > 	ls -la /dev/video1
> > ?
> >
> > Check that you have permissions. Is there anything
> > special printed
> > in log files after loading pwc driver, check with
> > "dmesg"?
>
> I checked all this.  It isn't a file permissions
> problem because it's never getting to that stage.
> There should be something in the /var/log/messages
> that says "pwc driver attaching to /dev/video?",
> right?  There is nothing like that.  It just gives the
> pwc driver info, but says nothing about detecting any
> devices.
>
> I found this useful diagram:
>
> http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/support.html
>
> It shows that the modules are linked like this:
>
> usb-core > pwc > v4l
>
> The problem is that v4l isn't getting activated.
>
> Any ideas?  I am completely stumped on this.  Should I
> try a new kernel?  I am using the plain old RH9
> kernel.   I will probably switch to SuSE 9 at some
> point to see if that changes anything.
>
> My offer of a $25 reward to anyone who can help me fix
> this is now doubled to $50.  If you are interested,
> give me your IM account info or a phone number.

I am hardly qualified to help with TV on a linux box however I noted one
thing that might help.

When I had R.H. V8.0 working and all up2dated and a nice working AverTV
card working with xawtv I tried installing R.H. V9.0.  All went well
except when I tried to get xawtv to work it refused so after messing with
it for a few hours I just reinstalled R.H. V8.0.  and I think it is kudzu
that found the TV card and installed correct driver and it worked, out of
the box so to speak.

My setup is from cox cable tv and cable modem also have the telephone with
them.  I use a 19" Trinitron monitor and run grub for gui.  I boot up in
800x900 but start my gui sessions with 760x860 IIRC. That way the TV
picture fills the whole screen.  The input to the TV card is from the
station switching box that cox includes for high end channels. The sound
out of the TV card goes to sound input card. Forget what that one is.
I have Pent. IV w/512 meg mem. and 2 30 gig hd's.

So I would suggest, if switching dist., try R.H. V8.0 first.

Warren