Still no luck Re: Can't detect camera

--- Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >If you have loaded the pwc (and optionally pwcx)
> module, and also have
> >loaded the appropriate usb modules (!) you should
> have an (extra)
> >/dev/video device that xawtv can operate on.
>
> Provided that the device file is correct. What does
> say
> 	ls -la /dev/video
> 	ls -la /dev/video0
> 	ls -la /dev/video1
> ?
>
> Check that you have permissions. Is there anything
> special printed
> in log files after loading pwc driver, check with
> "dmesg"?

I checked all this.  It isn't a file permissions
problem because it's never getting to that stage.
There should be something in the /var/log/messages
that says "pwc driver attaching to /dev/video?",
right?  There is nothing like that.  It just gives the
pwc driver info, but says nothing about detecting any
devices.

I found this useful diagram:

http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/support.html

It shows that the modules are linked like this:

usb-core > pwc > v4l

The problem is that v4l isn't getting activated.

Any ideas?  I am completely stumped on this.  Should I
try a new kernel?  I am using the plain old RH9
kernel.   I will probably switch to SuSE 9 at some
point to see if that changes anything.

My offer of a $25 reward to anyone who can help me fix
this is now doubled to $50.  If you are interested,
give me your IM account info or a phone number.