Re: v4l device entries? (was: Can't detect camera)

Es schrieb "Paul W. Morehead":

> hermann pitton wrote:
>
> > and as always on RH rename the directory /dev/video in /dev/nonsens or
> >
> >something else and make sure you have a symbolic link /dev/video
> >pointing to /dev/video0.
> >(this also applies to /dev/dsp radio vbi ...) Unplug the device or even
> >reload your usbcore module or reboot. "Usbview" is fine to see the
> >device registered.
> >

> I'm glad you mentioned this, because it's confused me for quite some
> time, but I was wondering if you or someone else could make an
> additional authorative statement on the arrangement of /dev/vid*
> entries.  I've been getting more and more frustrated with RH's freelance
> departure from Linus' official source tree, but it's so far been only
> the v4l stuff that's given me problems.  Now I'm not even sure anymore
> if it's a RH issue, and I would like to hear comment on this.
> Here's the meat of my inquiry: Hermann recommend a symlink of /dev/video
> pointing to /dev/video0, but currently (well, for 2.4.x kernels, at
> least) /dev/video is actually a directory containing dev entries for DVD
> control.  The devices.txt in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ in the 2.4.x
> kernel sources lists /dev/video as a directory to hold em3800 devices
> for DVD decoder control, and it would seem counter to the "official"
> devices list to change /dev/video to a symlink to /dev/video0, even for
> those of us who don't have a DVD drive and wouldn't need the em3800
> devices at all.  These are kernel sources I got from kernel.org, not the
> ones from RedHat.
> Yet I have (I think...it's been a while) run into v4l apps that by
> default assume that /dev/video is a video device, not a directory, and
> thus need to be told to use /dev/video0.  Basically, RedHat seems to
> follow genuine Linus kernel source /dev/vid* arrangements, some apps
> seem to expect /dev entries to be laid out with the symlink Hermann
> recommends, and although I've been able to sort these differences out on
> my own system, it still doesn't make sense in my head.  Anyone wanna hit
> me with a clue-by-four?

The dxr3 mpeg-decoder-card driver is not in the kernel tree as you can
read at the homepage. You have to download em8300 from
http://dxr3/sourceforge.net and for RH9 distribution kernels you even
need a modified version. The howto of the project suggests to create the
devices in /dev and not in /dev/video and the script devices.sh coming
with newer versions of the driver also does it in /dev ...

Hermann