v4l device entries? (was: Can't detect camera)

hermann pitton wrote:

and as always on RH rename the directory /dev/video in /dev/nonsens or

something else and make sure you have a symbolic link /dev/video
pointing to /dev/video0.
(this also applies to /dev/dsp radio vbi ...) Unplug the device or even
reload your usbcore module or reboot. "Usbview" is fine to see the
device registered.
I'm glad you mentioned this, because it's confused me for quite some time, but I was wondering if you or someone else could make an additional authorative statement on the arrangement of /dev/vid* entries. I've been getting more and more frustrated with RH's freelance departure from Linus' official source tree, but it's so far been only the v4l stuff that's given me problems. Now I'm not even sure anymore if it's a RH issue, and I would like to hear comment on this. Here's the meat of my inquiry: Hermann recommend a symlink of /dev/video pointing to /dev/video0, but currently (well, for 2.4.x kernels, at least) /dev/video is actually a directory containing dev entries for DVD control. The devices.txt in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ in the 2.4.x kernel sources lists /dev/video as a directory to hold em3800 devices for DVD decoder control, and it would seem counter to the "official" devices list to change /dev/video to a symlink to /dev/video0, even for those of us who don't have a DVD drive and wouldn't need the em3800 devices at all. These are kernel sources I got from kernel.org, not the ones from RedHat. Yet I have (I think...it's been a while) run into v4l apps that by default assume that /dev/video is a video device, not a directory, and thus need to be told to use /dev/video0. Basically, RedHat seems to follow genuine Linus kernel source /dev/vid* arrangements, some apps seem to expect /dev entries to be laid out with the symlink Hermann recommends, and although I've been able to sort these differences out on my own system, it still doesn't make sense in my head. Anyone wanna hit me with a clue-by-four?