Re: Can't detect camera

Thanks for the suggestions, Paul.

--- "Paul W. Morehead" <paulm53@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For starters, knowing which module works for your
> cameras depends much
> more on the vendor/product ID numbers than the name
> given by the
> marketing folks.  Actually it really depends on the
> chipsets, but
> usually the vendors will change the productID when
> they change a
> chipset.  This info can be gotten from dmesg, I use
> dmesg | grep "vend"
> but if the usb driver sees the device and just
> doesn't know which module
> to load for it, you'll find a line somewhat like
> this:
>
> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x50d/0x208) is not
> claimed by any active
> driver.
>
> For the PROeX cam, it should be 0x041E, 0x4011, and
> if it is, then the

Yes, that is exactly what is listed.  It says "not
claimed by any active driver".

> pwc.o driver is the one you wanna use for that
> camera.  Check lsmod.  Is
> pwc listed?  If so, then the correct module is, in
> fact, loaded and
> ready to go.  Otherwise you could "modprobe pwc" and
> I think you might

With lsmod, pwc was not listed, so I did a modprobe
pwc, and then lsmod shows that pwc is listed.

> Once it's loaded, you could check to see if v4l is
> happy by trying
> v4l-info.  If you get a "open /dev/video0: No such
> device" then your
> problems are probably out of my league.  Hopefully,

"open /dev/video0: No such device" is exactly what I
get.  And that is where I'm baffled.  It is clearly
out of my league.  The machine definitely detects the
cam, and the PWC module is loaded... but somehow the
/dev/video? doesn't get activated or the kernel
doesn't hook any driver to it.

> you'll get a long
> happy output from v4l telling you about the camera,
> at which point you
> should be able to use something like xawtv to see
> the camera's output
> (your smiling face of victory, no doubt) with little
> effort.

Alas, not yet....

> You're on your own with the other (NX) camera until
> someone more
> knowledgeable steps forward, because I couldn't find
> anything on that
> specific model in the few minutes I spent surfing.

I'm sure once I figure out one, the other will be
easy.  They are very similar things.

> (...but I will say that I share your sneaky feeling
> about SuSE, at least
> as far as out-of-box ease goes: I plugged my old
> Aiptek Pencam in on a
> SuSE system and up popped an icon on the desktop.
> Schweet.  I'm just
> too comfortable with the rest of RH to switch, at
> least at this point.
> Don't give up...)

Yes, my experience with SuSE is that it is
miraculously easy to plug in stuff, including things
like ieee1394 stuff, and have it "just work", whereas
with Redhat, lots of complicated debugging is often
needed.  I'll probably switch to SuSE 9 pretty soon.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, and I am offering
a $25 reward to anyone who can help me figure this
out.

Thanks!