From: Michel Bardiaux [mailto:mbardiaux@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 8:51 AM
To: video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: capture card recomendations

David McBride wrote:
 > Thanks for the reply Michel. The card is an old 878 based card.

Rats!

 > I am not a video or linux guru by any means, a newbie for the most
 > part.  What do you mean by software image reduction.  Can you be more
 > basic and detailed with your answer? Are you saying it is xawtv or
 > some settings?
 >
 > Thanks again, David

I dont use xawtv except very naively to test a TV card after installation.

Software reduction means you grab the whole 704 by 576 (when PAL) pixels
for every frame, copying from the mmap-ed buffers to your own buffer.
Then you skip say 3 out of every 4 lines, and in the lines you keep,
skip 3 out of every 4 pixels. There are subtler methods but this one is
simple.

If you wish to use ready-made encoders I suggest mencoder
(www.playerhq.hu) or ffmpeg (ffmpeg.sourceforge.net). Both have options
to specify the zoom-down factor between the grabber and the image to be
encoded. I also know of transcode and nvrec, but havent used them.

HaND,
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles