From: Michel Bardiaux [mailto:mbardiaux@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 3:15 AM
To: video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: capture card recomendations

David McBride wrote:
 > I have a WinTV Go card in a Manrdake 9.1 system useing Xawtv.
 > Hardware is a P4 2.4 GHz and 256MB RAM.  I am using bttv 0.9.12 and
 > v4l2.  I want to be able to record video for streaming.  Right now
 > the WinTV Go card is giving poor quality (grainy or blocky) when
 > there is movement.  I  have noticed that the bigger the picture the
 > less blocky it is.  I want to be able to stream to low bandwidth
 > usres, so I need a small window. Can anyone tell me if I need to look
 > into a better capture card or to look into software issues?
 >
 > Thanks, David

Go for software image reduction. With a P4-2.4 you should not have any
performance problems: here we do real-time MPEG1 encoding from 2 cards,
including spatial decimation by 2 on a P4-2.4 with 512MB. HTH.

BTW is your WinTV-GO one of the 'old' 878-based or one of the 'new'
based on the 88x? I might have missed the announcement of the 88x driver.

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles