Re: Frames come in bursty when capturing with low framerate

On Friday 12 December 2003 16:35, Erik Slagter wrote:
> > Latency? Is there some BIOS setting or how it can be changed?
>
> Sometimes you can set it in the bios for all slots, sometimes only a max
> value. AFAIK you can also set it individually for each grabber card
> using the respective v4l(2) driver, with an insmod parameter "latency".
> This should have a value in milliseconds between 1 and 255. The higher
> the latency, the longer a PCI bus master is allowed to grab and keep the
> PCI bus. This way maybe you could give your cards a bigger part of the
> bandwidth over the disk. OTOH now you might start having throughput
> problems to your disk controller :-( I am afraid it's insane anyway to
> run more than 1 grabber card on a PCI33 bus, for full size capturing. My
> previous motherboard (via 333 chipset) couldn't even keep up with 1
> grabber card at full resolution...

I'm not so sure about that - at least not in every case. I have 1 bttv-based
and 1 saa7134-based card, and I can start tvtime for both cards at the same
time (minus the exclusive lock on /dev/rtc for whomever comes last). It works
without problems, and tvtime certainly grabs fullsize-fullfps.

Also, I thought it might be caused by a bad card making life hard for the good
PCI-cards. I don't think that's the case though, as I have my current
computer stuffed full of parts from my other computer, which broke down.
There are 2 tv-cards, scsi-controller, 2 ide-controllers, 2 soundcards, etc.
It all works without problems. (well, I have occasional problems with my
soundcard. I think some PCI slots are better than others)

Have you tried rearranging the cards?

--
Regards,
Christian Iversen