Re: Frames come in bursty when capturing with low framerate

Es schrieb Trent Piepho:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 v4l@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Grab all frames (i.e. 25 QBUF and DQBUF per second) and copy only the
> > > ones you want, maybe on the basis of the timestamp or timecode returned.
> > > Even if your QBUF were *perfectly* rythmed, what counts is the video
> > > synchro signal, not the system clock.
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > That's what I used before, and that works ok. The problem is that I'm using
> > 4 or more grabbers in one PC now, and capturing everything and skipping
> > frames causes too much data on the PCI bus, resulting in image distortion.
> > (distorted horizontal lines at random places, etc)...
>
> You need to use the temporal decimation register on the bt8x8 chip, to have
> the card drop frames.  This is the only sure way you can get smooth dropping
> of frames, without capturing all frames and deciding what to drop yourself,
> which of course has the PCI bus problems you mentioned.
>
> The only thing is the temporal decimation register is a strange thing, and
> doesn't appear to work as described in the data sheet.
>
> I remember a thread on this list a long time ago, were we discussed it.  I
> think someone actually managed to get it working correctly and had a patch
> for the driver.  I can't find any searchable archives for this list, but
> maybe there is some information out there.

It is truncated in the searchable archiv
http://www.riverside.org/archive/html/video4linux but last tracks point
to redhat video4linux-list/2002-May/msg00062.html and it is downloadable
here http://www.spinics.net/lists/vfl/msg01145.html

regards,
Hermann