Re: How to support hardware controlled time multiplexing ?

Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Use "v4l2_buffer.memory = V4L2_MEMORY_OVERLAY"
>
> The point is, how do you de-multiplex time domain multiplexed streams in
> overlay mode?  I think your answer will be, "you can't."

No.  The answer is to do overlay using streaming capture &
v4l2_buffer.memory = V4L2_MEMORY_OVERLAY instead of using VIDIOC_OVERLAY

> > > Say someone wanted to start four instances of xawtv on
> > > one device and have each overlay one of the time domain multiplexed channels
> > > into a different window?
> >
> > That isn't going to work.  It still must be a _single_ application
> > which does streaming capture.  it is just possible to attach input
>
> That's the problem, it isn't going to work.  There are no applications that
> support multiple input streams comming from a single device.

Not the current ones, thats pretty normal for new interfaces :)

It likely doesn't make sense to use that for TV-orientated
applications like xawtv or mencoder, because for watching and
recording movies you probably want the full 25/30 fps frame rate (and
also the sound ...).

It makes sense for systems where you have multiple cameras connected
to one grabber card, want use them all but don't need high frame
rates.  webcams, monitoring systems, whatever.

  Gerd

--
You have a new virus in /var/mail/kraxel