Re: Video Surveillance System

As someone just mentioned Videolan,
my thoughts on Palantir involved it
being very very easy to set up, and
can use a Web browser, a Java client, or the
simple Palantir client. Unfortunately, it looks
like only a Linux server is available, and
it only allows one audio connection at a time
(i.e. only one client of many can hear anything),
but it can control camera devices remotely.

VLC from Videolan can serve
from a Windows machine or a Linux machine,
and on Windows handles DirectX devices such
as USB cameras, plus the installation is getting
easier and easier and there is better support now
for the Mozilla plug-in on Windows. BUT, it is
still a much more complex program than Palantir,
handling lots of video formats and multicasting,
while Palantir does Motion JPEG only and
TCP unicasting.

Bill Eldridge wrote:

palantir.sourceforge.net isn't bad either,
though I don't know if it records.

Bryan Waters wrote:

http://gspy.sourceforge.net/