Re: zoran 36120 question

> From:
> Ronald Bultje <rbultje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:
> Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:10:41 +0100
> To:
> John Vera <johnv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Hi John,
>
> On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 01:33, John Vera wrote:
>
>>Hi and sorry to bother you about my problem, I run a suse 8.2 and
>>downloaded the 2.6.0.test9 kernel, when I switch all options on  the
>>zoran 36120 shows but I can’t se it, I need it since I have the Genius
>>Video Wonder pro. Besides I read some things about needing the bt848
>>and phillips tuner saa7110, any idea?
>>
>>Is there anyway I can be able to mark as module or insert it in the
>>kernel? Well thanks anyway and best regards.
>

> I'm guessing it has been disabled (at least if you select to disable all
> modules that will likely fail to build), since it hasn't been ported to
> the new videodev subsystem yet.

Yup.

> I've posted a patch to do this, but
> asked for comments from testers with such a card on whether it works at
> all. I don't have such a card myself, so my patch is purely theoretical.
> See the LKML archives if you want to try it out yourself.
>
> Pauline (CC'ed) is the official maintainer of the driver. If it works,
> I'd recommend letting her know so she can re-post my patch to LKML and
> have it applied to the 2.6 kernel. I doubt whether it will make it in
> 2.6.0, but it never hurts to try.
>
> You don't need the bt848 or anything, as far as I know. I'm CC'ing the
> v4l list, too. Other people might be able to give further comments on
> this. I really don't know much about it, simply because I've never been
> able to try my patch out.

There are a couple of issues with Ronald's patch:
The ioctl calls now have a wrapper function that copies the parameters
to/from userspace. The ioctl code itself, however, also contains code to
copy to/from userspace. This apparently was a leftover from the 2.4.x driver.
In any case, after I changed that, xawtv can access the driver. It still
complains about a bunch of invalid parameters, though (I may have screwed
something up, or missed something in the ioctl code.)
It also doesn't show anything, it just has a black window.
And, the big one: after I exit xawtv, my system (2.6.0-test10 with Andrew
Morton's mm1 patches) is hosed (hanging in disk access), and I have to reboot.
So I guess the driver still needs more work...

-Joe