Re: How to support hardware controlled time multiplexing ?

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> That's right, but if four applications open the device at the same time, thet
> will all request 32 buffers and not 8 as they don't know about each other.

But can't the user can just tell them to request 8?

> > For mmap capture, it may not be hard to add this in a backward compatible
> > manner.  But no software supports this.  From a point of view of a hardware
> > manufacture or user, it's a huge drawback if your hardware time domain
> > multiplexing doesn't work with nvrec, motion, mencoder, and so on.
>
> Why would you want to encode from a single time multiplexed stream ? I doubt
> MPEG encoding would achieve outstanding results if 4 video inputs are
> multiplexed into the stream. And all existing software will work with the

That's not what I meant.  If you have a single device with four TDM inputs,
you would probably want to run four instances of mencoder on the device, each
one to encode a single input stream.  The thing is, mencoder is setup to
encode a single stream, not four streams.