BTB 878 Card / Linux / PAL: B&W only [Was: BTB 878 Card on Linux; no input?]

Greetings,

I've now tracked the 'no input' issue: it was, of course, a faulty lead.
D'oh.

However, although I'm now recieving input (and of reasonable quality, I
think), I'm recieving black & white only :-( That is, using xawtv or tvtime,
only setting TV Standard to PAL Nc works nicely.  Normal PAL is unwatchable.
This is with a PAL tape in a PAL video (I'm in the UK).  I've tried tinkering
with the frame rate under tvtime (I can't see how to with xawtv), but to no
avail.  Mplayer just barfs without any output.

Again, pointers, ideas, or even outright solutions, I'd be most grateful.

Mx.