Re: Re: Recommended kernel patches for video capture

Hi,
  There are tv tuner cards based on bttv or saa7130/34. Relevant v4l2
drivers are available. There is nothing specific in compiling. The
drivers are specific. Though u try to work it out in different PC's
they are still desktop linux boxes where the processor is not
dedicated. Say suppose if u work in X windows it itself requires 8MB
ram and some processor power. likewise so many process will run
including background processes. These are the reasons for frame
dropping. If we try this using a dedicated processor, in any embedded
device then there will not be in any frame dropping.

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 bj wrote :
>Hi Hank,
>
>I've got problems performing capture with a couple of computers.  Can
>you give me a brief description of how you compile in
chipset-specific
>support?  Are there obvious steps in 'make config', or obvious error
>messages in the kernel make output to work with?
>
>Thanks,
>
>BJ
>Hank Barta wrote:
>>On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 23:17, suriya mohan wrote:
>>
>>>Hi steven,  If at all any frame dropping occurs, then it is not due
to the driver we use. If you try frame capturing in desktop linux then
frame dropping will occur rather should occur. Because the processor
is not dedicated. If u try this in any embedded device like set-top
box or PVR then you will probably have good result. So I think there
will not be any problem with the patches we apply to the kernel
source.
>>>Any comments from others in the group regarding this ?
>>

>>Is there any indication why the capture is dropping frames? I'm a
rank
>>newbie at this, having just tried DV capture for the first time
>>yesterday. I had problems with 'dvgrab' keeping up until I
discovered
>>that I had neglected to compile in specific support for the
motherboard
>>chipset. Once that was done, I was able to capture without dropping
>>frames until my hard drive was full. But that's a different problem.
In
>>any case, the warnings produced by 'dvgrab' clearly indicated that
>>writing to the hard drive was not keeping up. Also compiling the
correct
>>chipset drivers allow disk I/O to use DMA and this reduced CPU load
from
>>about 50% to about 5% as reported by 'top.'
>>For reference this is a Sony Vaio laptop with 750 MHz P-III, 256MB
RAM