Random Black Line in image

I have software which I wrote, that takes the data from the camera, and memcopy's it into a JNI byte array, which then passes it to Java for drawing.  It is a black and white feed, and works great, running at 33fps, 160x144.  On occasion, when our system starts, there is a black line on the left side of the image, 1 pixel wide, and a gray solid line next to that, also 1 pixel wide.  The rest of the image is fine.  If it was constant, I would guess it was my code...but it is very inconsistent.  I have 3 machines that I'm testing this on, and it happens quite frequently on one system, occasionally on another system, and the third it almost never occurs...which suggests hardware to me.  In my previous version, the drawing was done in C++ by grabbing the Canvas from Java and drawing it to the drawing surface in C++.  I don't remember ever seeing this issue with that version...which suggests a software issue.  They all are running the same version of v4l, and ov511.  I believe my v4l version is 4.2.0, and my ov511 version is 1.57.  Any ideas what could cause this random black line?

Rob