[Fwd: tech. spec./API for pctv RF tuner [Incident: 031121-000292]]

Dear list members,

There were numerous reports on newer Pinnacle cards not working with
bttv on this list in the last months
Many of you (including Gerd) has supposed that Pinnacle has changed  the
tuner type w/o notice.

According to the answer of Pinnacle tech. support to my recent question,
the tuner is(?) still MT2032.

Does anybody have any idea about the problem?

G.

--- Begin Message ---
Title: tech. spec./API for pctv RF tuner
Dear Customer,
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will send you a reminder if we do not hear from you within 48 hours, but please feel free to respond at your convenience.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

You may also update this question by replying to this message. Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. You can use your keyboard's "Enter" key to open up space between the two reply lines. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded.
[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

If your issue remains unresolved, please update this question here.

 Subject
tech. spec./API for pctv RF tuner

 Discussion Thread
 Response (Herman)11/22/2003 01:02 AM
Dear Gabor,

TV-Tuner on the newer PCTV PCI cards is a Microtune MT2032 (TV/FM chip tuner)

Kind Regards,

Yours faithfully,
Pinnacle Technical Support

For the latest drivers, updates and support information, visit our website at
http://www.pinnaclesys.com
 Auto-Response11/21/2003 08:13 AM
Title: Is my PCTV compatible with a 3rd party TV viewing application ?
Link: http://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2487&p_created=1051287711

Title: No Video output to VCR
Link: http://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=500&p_created=1010574883

Title: No video appears in Capture Window or it is black with Studio PCTV
Link: http://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=486&p_created=1008715316

Title: Linux driver for Pinnacle PCTV products
Link: http://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2497&p_created=1052226960

Title: Audio with PCTV
Link: http://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2481&p_created=1051283553

 Customer (Gábor Ziegler)11/21/2003 08:13 AM
Preliminary: Please DO NOT SEND mindlessly Linux weblinks as an answer. I can read and I HAVE read the links available on this site.

I have bougth a PTCV card in 2003 September because I was misinformed by this site that the card has 3rd party Linux support ( from bytesex.org). The card has a red PCB, the visible chips are Conexant bt878 (videograbber), and Phillips TDA8855 (audio chip). The RF chip is inivisible behind a metal box (Faraday-cell) bearing the Pinnacle logo.

The RF tuner is NOT supported by the Linux bttv driver (composite video input (still) works). I have asked the developers and they said that apparently the Pinnacle company have changed the RF tuner chip w/o notification and there is no available specs for this chips.

I understand that card is not supported officially under Linux. However, since I have invested my own money in to this piece of programmable hardware, I would like to be able to program it.
Therefore, I would like to know
1. the exact name of the RF tuner chip and its manufacturer
2. programming API for the tuner

Thanks,
Gábor

 Question Reference #031121-000292
Product: PCTV Series and TV Viewing Products
Sub-Product: Studio PCTV/Pro/Rave
Category: Other
Contact Information: gziegler@xxxxxxxxxxx