Re: transmit from Linux to a TV set - real NEWBIE

On Mon, sting wrote:

> Hello,
> this is a real newbie question ; I have no knowledge about TV
> in conjunction with LINUX.
> I am looking for a way to transmit from Linux (RH9)
> to a TV set.
>
> I do not have an S-VIDEO output in my Linux;
> I assume I have to buy some card

Correct.

> which is
> the right technical card is ? TV card? and when purchasing it - should I
> make sure that it should be right for my video card, or does my video card
> not
> envolved at all ?

Yes, you're after a video card with TV-Out support. (There *is* the
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350, which is a video capture card that also has
S-Video out though...)

> Or should I replace my Video card with a video card with support for
> outputting video ? (s-video out port)?

I highly recommend replacing your current card with a GeForce 4 MX card
w/S-Video out. Only about $40 (US) in places, and using nvidia's
drivers, you can get very a very solid picture on your TV (the driver
also supports overscan, so you can tweak the picture to fill the entire
screen).

> Are there such cards with Linux drivers available ?

Several. The nvidia drivers are probably the best, but it is possible
with newish ATI cards (using ATI's fglrx driver), older ATI cards (using
the gatos driver), some SiS cards, some Matrox cards, etc...

> If anyone can advice from his own experience / give links
> on a working solution (for transmitting *.avi / *.mpeg
> files from Linux to a TV)
> I will be grateful.

Check out the links in my sig.

> do I have to use a special sw to play mpeg/avi files
> from Linux to the TV,or is there a free sw ?

You can use MythTV, mplayer, xine, ogle, you-name-it, etc. All the stuff
that works on your monitor will also work on the TV.

> (BTW,my TV is a PAL tv)

Not a problem.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE