transmit from Linux to a TV set - real NEWBIE

Hello,
this is a real newbie question ; I have no knowledge about TV
in conjunction with LINUX.
I am looking for a way to transmit from Linux (RH9)
to a TV set.

I do not have an S-VIDEO output in my Linux;
I assume I have to buy some card ; which is
the right technical card is ? TV card? and when purchasing it - should I
make sure that it should be right for my video card, or does my video card not
envolved at all ?
Or should I replace my Video card with a video card with support for
outputting video ? (s-video out port)?

Are there such cards with Linux drivers available ?
If anyone can advice from his own experience / give links
on a working solution (for transmitting *.avi / *.mpeg
files from Linux to a TV)
I will be grateful. do I have to use a special sw to play mpeg/avi files
from Linux to the TV,or is there a free sw ?

(BTW,my TV is a PAL tv)

regards
sting