Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Installation V4L2

Hi,
  I worked only in Red Hat linux. Have a close look into the
following link. http://bytesex.org/v4l/build.html. This says

  " If you run in trouble with the distribution kernel, try a vanilla
kernel from kernel.org instead. The RH9 kernel for example doesn't
work without some tweaks in the drivers source code because they
backported lot of stuff from 2.5.x and broke source level
compatibility with vanilla 2.4.x kernels ".

So do as follows.

Download Vanilla kernel 2.4.22 from www.kernel.org
Download "patch-2.4.22-kraxel.gz" from http://bytesex.org/patches/
Apply the patch to the kernel source.
Compile the kernel with
    1) loadable module support
    2) Multimedia devices -> Video for Linux -> Video Adapters -
      <M>  BT848 Video For Linux (as Module)
    in make menuconfig.
Boot the new kernel Image
Download bttv version 0.9.11 from "http://bytesex.org/bttv/"
Compile bttv
load bttv driver 0.9.11
When u load bttv driver using modprobe, there may be possiblity of
old driver loaded again. so rename the old bttv driver and load new
driver.

Try this one out and if u have any problem, revert back.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 Juan Carlos Granda wrote :
>    My english is not very good enough so i'll try to explain it as
well as posibly.

>First, i installed debian 3.0 r1 and get kernel package 2.4.22-3 from
debian. Then i installed kraxel patch and with many problems i
compiled bttv-v4l2 driver. At this point, all OK.

>But when i tried to load bttv module and run vcat, it doesn't accept
v4l2 IOCTLs returning  Bad argument errno. So i suposed v4l2 is not
properly installed.

>Second, i tried with RH9 and the atrpms kernel with v4l2 api but bttv
doesn't compile.

>I've tried so many days that i can't show all the errors and
problems, so i ask for a definitive way to make it works and in which
distro.