Re: Could someone sum the status on IR-Remote support for saa7134?

hermann pitton wrote:

Es schrieb hermann pitton:
Hi Ole Andre,

Something about how to use it is still in this thread:
http://www.riverside.org/archive/html/video4linux/2003-10/msg00146.html

Sorry, that link was wrong. Meant was this one:
http://www.riverside.org/archive/html/video4linux/2003-10/msg00020.html

Hermann

Okay, once I had the wits to check the kernel itself I got the evdev module up and running. I can use the remote control as a keyboard, using the builtin keycodes, but I am having difficulties both changing the default keys (so that it'll work with the keymapping of mplayer etc) and integrating lirc.

If I'm reading your replies in the mentioned thread, you yourself also have a cinergy card, right? Were you able to program it with kdb? When run kdb 0 it lists the following:

/dev/input/event0
  bustype : (null)
  vendor  : 0x0
  product : 0x0
  version : 0
  name    : "saa7134 IR (Terratec Cinergy 40"
  bits ev : EV_KEY

bits: KEY_NUMLOCK
bits: KEY_KP7
bits: KEY_KP8
bits: KEY_KP9
bits: KEY_KP4
bits: KEY_KP5
etc

How do I program this? If I try to load a map through kbd -f, the program exits with the following:

/dev/input/event0
device has no map

This is consistent with the listing above, as it indicates that the device isn't programmable.. however, the programmability is in the DRIVER not in the remote itself so it strikes me as quite strange that I'm getting this particular response.. it doesn't make much sense to me anyway.

Perhaps I can edit this in the source instead - there are presumably a set of generic scancodes used for a given button. Not sure where though, pointers anyone?

Alternatively, if only I could get lirc to recognize the remote all of these would be gone. The CVS version is actually seeing the keypresses, and I can record a config file with irrecord - it just doesn't work. Has anyone had time to experiment with lirc's evdev support yet? The lirc mailinglist is a vacuum on this subject - not a single thread discussing these devices, so I suspect that v4l is the most active user (if any exist) of this particular functionality.

Fingers crossed,

Ole Andre