java player for dev/video0

Hello,

We are  2 students that work on a project assigned by the university of
Vigo in Spain. The project consisits of building a set-top box for a
digital tv receiver on a linux platform.
The hardware used is a WINTV-DVB-s board.
Our task is to make a java program that can read the video information
stored in the dev/video0 .
Now we are using NutzTV to display the video information, while the main program( in java) handles the data and sound. We have to make a similar program like NutzTV, and integrate this code in the code of the main program. But we are unable to read information from the dev/video0 !
Can anybody help us?

thanks a lot,

Nick and Stefano