TV Tuner kills system

Hi all. Sorry if this winds up being a dupe, I send the first message from the wrong account (I'm using mozilla, so it's easy to do). I've got a bt878 tuner (ATI TV wonder VE, also have an old STB TV PCI bt848 with the same issues), soundblaster live 5.1, and 3com cyclone ethernet card (eth0) on an Asus nforce2 board (A7N8X) with a Geforce2mx. On board sound is disabled in the bios, on board ethernet is running as eth1. If the tv tuner is not in use (i.e. I haven't started xawtv or motv) everything's fine. A few seconds after I start up motv/xawtv either the tv tuner, sound card or ethernet will stop working. The tuner's image will freeze, the sound card will start playing static or the ethernet just won't connect (I'm on broadband). I'm running mandrake 9.1 with a kernel 2.4.21-0.25 with these parameters:

hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi noapic acpi=off pci=noacpi

Not sure if the pci=noapic does anything worthwhile, but my system is completely useless without the acpi=off line.

Moving the card around seems to change which device goes dead, but no matter where I put it one card will go dead. I've managed to get it to the point where there are no IRQ conflicts but that didn't help. Right now the tv card is sharing an irq with usb-ohci. My /proc/interrupts:

        CPU0       0:      58151          XT-PIC  timer
1:       3942          XT-PIC  keyboard
2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
5:         26          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, bttv
8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
10:      12102          XT-PIC  ehci-hcd, eth1
11:      37089          XT-PIC  eth0, EMU10K1
12:      49692          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, nvidia
14:      22889          XT-PIC  ide0
15:        149          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:      58118
ERR:         20
MIS:          0

My modules.conf:

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-ohci ehci-hcd
alias eth0 3c59x
above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias eth1 nvnet
alias char-major-89     i2c-dev
alias char-major-81-0   bttv
options bttv            card=64 tuner=17

I pulled these lines from the docs, I've also tried letting the driver detect the card by adding bttv to /etc/modules. Same problems.

Reloading the driver doesn't help, only rebooting. I have no idea what the cause/solution might be. Can someone with more hardware experience give me some insight? Does anyone have this working on a simular set up? I read about some options in the README.quirks files triton1 and vsfx?) but I'm not sure how to enable them or how to check if they're enabled. Thanks again .

Jeremy Gregorio