Re: In search of videocard with variable screen resolution to 480i TV Output

Jason wrote:

Unfortunatly, that is the limitation of NTSC TV.  If you want to get to
1024 res on a big screen, you are looking at getting an HDTV :-(  I
believe that NTSC is limited to 320xsomething and just wont display any
higher.

Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

I think that its just that we heard about other cards that for one reason or another seem to do better for example in a video4linux post from 9/25/2002 (okay, okay, I agree, I keep my archives too long ) entitled " G400 interlaced TV output" Billy Biggs describes the G400 as:

 Ville Syrjälä did some work on the G400: he got the maven registers
set up to put the TV output in interlaced mode at full resolution, plus
he did a kernel patch to give an interrupt every field.  This lets me do
cool stuff.

 http://vektor.theorem.ca/graphics/tvout/dfbtv/

 That is a test application: it takes input from a V4L source (obV4L)
and outputs it to the G400, field synced.  The pass-thru output is as
close to full quality as we're going to be able to get.   I'm very
impressed.  Doing a PVR app is going to be awesome now.

Perhaps its just that some of these cards may not be designed/configured to display to TV Out to the best of their ability for one reason or another.  I'm basically curious as to what others have found...

Tim Schoenfelder

      Jason
www.jasonandjessi.com
It gimme the jibblies