SAA7134 picture distorted

Hi,
I have a Tevion MD 9717 I'm trying to get to work for about one year now (well, every now and then ;-), with more or less acceptable results. With version 0.2.8 of the driver I was able to digitise movies from my camcorder (some older Sony Hi8 model) using mencoder, but only when using resolutions not higher than 320x288. With higher resolutions its gets harder to reach the required framerate of 25fps (but after a time it reaches it even with dvd- resolution). But the worst problem is that distortions appear when something moves a bit faster in the picture.
Here
http://home.pages.at/orei/0.jpg
you can see how the picture looks like shortly after recording begins. The system hasnt settled yet and the framerate hasnt been reached.
Here
http://home.pages.at/orei/397.jpg
you can see how the picture looks after the framerate is stable at 25fps. There is me (well, part of) moving my hand through the picture.
Here is where the problems begin:
http://home.pages.at/orei/398.jpg
While my hand moves down through the picture suddenly random grey (?) horizontal lines appear in the area of movement. They move around randomly for some frames and suddenly disappear again when the movement is gone.

I'm running a Redhat 8.0 system. Kernel is 2.4.20 + v4l2 patches. The driver is inserted with
/sbin/modprobe saa7134 card=6
Further I'm using MEncoder dev-CVS-030623-06:00-3.2 with the following command line for recording: mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l:input=3:width=720:height=576:fps=25:norm=PAL:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/audio:amode=1 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2000 -ovc lavc -oac pcm -o test.avi

The processor load (Duron 800) is always at around 60%.
The same problem appears with xawtv (version 3.82) when just monitoring the composite input. What could that be? There shouldnt be any 'dynamic compression' in the chipset so that movement could saturate the PCI bus, right?

clueless
Ole