Re: Hauppauge WinTv USB

Ricardo Mostalac wrote:

Hello folks, I need the help from anyone who was
installed the hauppauge wintv usb. I make many
intents, but I cannot make works this device. In Red
Hat I'm follow the instructions exactly whitout any
error, but my computer cannot see the /dev/video0
device. In Mandrake I can see the device and I can run
the xawtv application, but I only can see a black
screen with a white sound.

I don´t want return to ms-windows, but if I can't make
work this video device in this week, my chief push me
to do it....
touchy store, I could not help myself but share some info :)
For RedHat you have to download usbvision drivers for linux, it seems like latest version is 0.9.1 (with 0.9.0 I had some errors from the driver) http://www.emuit.com/webcamtable.html (somewhere at this site, it's down now so I can't tell exact link), if you need it, email me and I'll send you tar with the driver. Compile it and install it. You may add 'alias char-major-81 usbvision' to /etc/modules.conf file. The just plug in the device and it's there. Mandrake kernel seems to have it. For RedHat I used kernel 2.4.20, while 2.4.22 did not work for me. I was able to see video ok in xawtv but I did not try TV-in, just S-vidio. In xawtv you have to choose right system NTSC/PAL and input (Composite or S-Video) Don't expect high framerates 'cause it's USB 1. And it was 320x240, I don't know if it supports 640x480. If you still stuck list the messages you get when you load the driver. Also there's a debug parameter for the usbvision module, you can set it to 5 to get it verbose.
If there are any error messages from xawtv provide them as well, it may help

Andriy