Newbie MythTV questions: Combo private PC and full-time PVR?

Hi all,

I'm a Linux newbie (and hence a video-for-Linux newbie). I'm pondering a project to build a Linux box to serve as both my house's MythTV PVR and my private personal computer. I want my PVR to run seamlessly: If I'm installing the latest Mozilla build, I don't want it to cause any blips in my roommates' concurrent TV-watching. So here are my questions.

1. I want to build an Athlon 64 FX box with 2 x 512 MB of PC2700 RAM, a striped RAID array (on-board controller) comprising two 120 GB (8 MB cache) SATA drives, a dual-display 256 MB NVidia 5600 card, and a Hauppage [sp] WinTV card. With that much power, can I be assured that there won't be any lag on the TV side when I'm doing my chemistry homework on the 'puter?

2. I want the NVidia card to put out MythTV in full-screen through the TV-out and everything else through the DVI-out. Will that be hard to pull off?

3. Naturally, I need TV sounds to go through my TV-room speakers and all my other computer sounds to go through my computer speakers. Is it possible to do that? Do I need more than one sound card to do it?

4. We may get digital cable. Has anyone figured out how to get MythTV to work with an IR blaster to control a set-top box?

Thanks!
-Noah

Never get a busy signal because you are always connected with high-speed Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers. https://broadband.msn.com