bttv problems: only one network showing

Hello,

I'm new to this list, so I apologize in advance if I am asking about something
that's already been discussed in the past. OTOH, part of me is hoping this is
a know problem as I have been trying to figure this out for nearly two weeks
now and it's just about to drive me nuts. Ahem.

So, first off, a few basic (but important, I think) points: I just recently
switched from Windows (XP) to linux (Mandrake 9.1) so I'm still pretty new to
all this. I am NOT a programmer, so I would appreciate if potential answers
didn't get too technical, lol, that's one thing that I have trouble with in
linux, it can get way too obscure for me sometimes. Anyway, I have learned a
lot in the past couple of weeks, and still learning, and willing to learn
more... just finding all of this a bit overwhelming at times.

Now I have a Pinnacle TV Studio/Rave (bt878) TV card. It was working ok in
XP... well, ok as in "I could watch TV for two or three hours before the PC
froze and I had to reboot, invariably losing some data in the process." On a
side note, that's part of the reason why I finally decided to make the big
jump to linux. Aside from the card though, XP was running fine. It would only
crash when I used the TV card, so it was definitely something there... even
reinstalling XP didn't help.

In Mandrake, of course, no crashes :-) that's an improvement. However, the
problem I have in linux is that I only get one network. Which network depends
on what channel I was last watching when I was in Windows. I can flip
channels fine, but I get the same network on EVERY channel, no matter what.

Some technical stuff I've managed to figure out:

	card type = 39 (Pinnacle Studio/Rave)
	tuner type = 3 (Phillips Pal/Secam)

I got the above from the Windows apps I was running. I had to test several
tuner types before I got those right. It was confirmed in linux however
because they are the only settings that get me an image at all. Any other
settings (well perhaps I haven't tried them all, but I've tried *a lot*) just
get me garbage.

I of course select France as "frequency table", "secam" as TV norm and
television as video source, which I think about covers it all.

Now I've tried to edit my modules.conf file according to a number of different
examples I've found on the web, but here's what happens. Whatever changes I
make always lead to the same thing: the picture disappears and is replaced
with "snow" (whatever you call that garbage in English) and the usual hissing
(or whatever) sound. Sometimes I'll see somewhat of a shape behind all the
garbage and when flipping channels I'll notice that it's exactly the same
picture, so that problem is still there. Now this garbage remains until I
reboot the computer, and then I'm back at square one (nice picture, but just
one network on all the channels).

This is on XawTV. I've also tried tvtime (great looking app)... it's about the
same behavior except that after editing modules.conf, instead of "snow" I get
a blue screen (but the same "hissing" sound as above)... and when I shut it
down that sound remains for some reason (not when the pic & sound are ok,
though, only with the garbage stuff) and will only go away after I start up
and close XawTV.

I've also tried Zapping and it's the same all over again. Oh, and scanning for
channels doesn't help any. Doesn't even work at all in tvtime (it acts like
it's working, but the same channel number remains written on the screen all
the time).

Now I'm not entirely sure which version of bttv I have (how can I check this?)
but I can tell you which kernel version I'm running. A "uname -a" returns the
following line:

Linux localhost 2.4.21-0.13mdk #1 Fri Mar 14 15:08:06 EST 2003 i686 unknown
unknown GNU/Linux

And here's what my modules.conf currently looks like (I've tried A LOT of
different settings though)... The ## Default section, BTW, is what was in the
file before I edited it... it used to have ONLY those lines... all the bttv
stuff I added in myself based on research I did on the web (yes, I've read a
lot about this on webpages, manpages, readme's and whatnot, but I'm still
baffled and clueless)

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
above snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx

## Video Card
# i2c
alias char-major-89	i2c-dev
options i2c-core	i2c_debug=1
options i2c-algo-bit	bit_test=1

# bttv
alias char-major-81	videodev
alias char-major-81-0	bttv
options bttv		card=39
options tuner		type=3

Also, typing "dmesg | grep bttv" returns the following output:

bttv0: unloading
bttv0: i2c detach [client=tda9887,ok]
bttv: driver version 0.7.100 loaded
bttv: using 4 buffers with 2080k (8320k total) for capture
bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133]
bttv: Host bridge is VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0a.0, irq: 9, latency: 32, mmio: 0xde011000
bttv0: detected: Pinnacle PCTV [card=39], PCI subsystem ID is 11bd:0012
bttv0: using: BT878(Pinnacle PCTV Studio/Ra) [card=39,insmod option]
bttv0: i2c attach [client=tda9887,ok]
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
bttv0: pinnacle/mt: id=4 info="PAL+SECAM / mono" radio=no
bttv0: using tuner=33
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
tuner(bttv): type forced to 3 (Philips (SECAM+PAL_BG) (FI1216MF, FM1216MF,
FR1216MF)) [insmod]
bttv0: i2c attach [client=Philips (SECAM+PAL_BG) (FI1216MF,ok]
bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 ... ok
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
bttv0: unloading
bttv0: i2c detach [client=tda9887,ok]
bttv0: i2c detach [client=Philips (SECAM+PAL_BG) (FI1216MF,ok]
[...]

Ha! I guess that line "bttv: driver version 0.7.100 loaded" answers my
previous question about which version I was using, lol... weird, I was
looking for that in dmesg before and didn't see it... oh well.

So anyway, there you have it. I hope I didn't forget anything... let me know
if you need more information.

And hopefully someone can help me figure this out...

Thanks for your time.

Alex.