Re: Tuner on newer Pinnacle cards

3xd176o02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi!

I'm having problems with a newer Pinnacle PCTV-Pro card. Seems like the
linux drivers can't use the tuner on the card. Composite and SVHS-input
works fine. After consulting the kernel logs it seems like there is some
problem with the driver for the tuner. The tuner detects as a MT2032,
but doesn't work like one.

After searching around quite a bit I saw some rumours that the tuner in
the new Pinnacle cards is a MT2050, so I contacted microtune to get
programming specifications for the 2050. I did not get hold of them, but
I got the specifications for the 2040, and I tried implementing a
linux driver for the MT2040 in the vain hope that it would have the same
interface as the MT2050. That did not work either.

I have contacted Pinnacle several times and always got the response that
the tuner is a MT2032. Even after showing them the kernel logs and trying
to tell them that it's quite strange that neither the tuner driver in
bttv nor DSCALER in windows can use the tuner when the mt2032 should be
supported, they just tell me that they do not support the linux drivers.
Hi sneakemail,

YES, I have the same card :

It's a MT2050, I also contacted Pinnacle (in France) and they told me so, and they also told me that they do not support linux ....

So ...

I asked Microtune for the specs, and they wanted me to sign a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) to be able to access their tuner specs. The problem is that I don't know how to understand this NDA (my english knowledge is not so good and it's written with lawyer language...) and I don't know if it allows me to develop a GPL driver. So I did not signed it yet...

Maybe we can reverse-enginer the windows tuner driver (it's quite a little program...) reverse-enginering is still allowed in France.

The problem is that I don't know how to trace and debug windows drivers

If you have a better idea, ... maybe just trying to find the differences with MT2032, but they seems pretty different anyway.

Regards,

Benjamin Sonntag
<benjamin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>